Last week, I hosted a very special event for a diverse select group of guests with my friend and colleague Matthew Green aboard his ship the MV Dana, moored at West India Quay, in the heart of London’s Docklands. Our evening turned into a brainstorm of ideas for the boat potentially – a unique location / venue (just minutes away from the heart of London’s financial hub) – the obvious options being Executive Education, Meetings, Corporate Events, Media Interviews, Broadcasting etc. to individuals, groups and companies. Commenting on the event my friend Dr Andrew Sentance, former Monetary Policy Member at The Bank of England quipped:
“The evening was proof positive of the well known formula A x B = C
where A = Ageing rockers; B = Bottles of wine; and C = Creative ideas!”
Apologies to our attendees from HSBC and Credit Suisse who certainly don’t fall into the aging rockers bracket!! Of course I like to believe that the creative ideas came out of our expert joint facilitation of the event and not just the wine!! 🙂
The more provocative and inventive “C” answers were to use Dana as:
- The city’s equivalent of College Green, the media’s favoured location for interviews with the iconic backdrop of Canary wharf… given that there is no default location in Docklands for this currently
- To start a Pirate Radio / TV Station on the boat to broadcast to the financial community in the Canary Wharf area – calling it DLR – “Docklands Life Radio” or…???
- Exclusive Leadership events and Creativity and Innovation summits using our joint skills combined with the location
- To offer the venue as a unique environment for special meetings that require an offsite location with all the convenience of being connected to the corporate centre whilst being utterly private, secure and discrete (ideal for M&A negotiations, C level assessments / discussions)
- To develop an exclusive business networking club on the ship
- Use for photoshoots and other red letter days using the massive deck which could be used as a screen, a projection hub, perhaps even a giant whiteboard!
- An informal hub for writers, poets, toastmasters and painters to practice their arts & hone their skills, individually, or as group mentored sessions
Just imagine, sitting on the dock of the bay, just yards away from the office, but millions of miles away in terms of thought space … One of the attendees wrote a delightful poem about the evening – check The Poet L’Oreal out at Launch Party.
Or, for something more lively:
About the Author: Peter Cook leads The Academy of Rock – Keynote events with a difference and Human Dynamics – Business and Organisation Development, Training and Coaching. Contact via email@example.com or +44 (0) 7725 927585.